Before we go deeper with IoT, it is imperative to understand what Internet of Things (IoT) actually is. Basically, a platform enables the network, the smart device and user to get connected with the internet via a definite identifier. In general, IoT works on an embedded technology to communicate with all external environments. No wonder this thing has been seen as one of the revolutionary mobile app development trends in this generation, as it can manage everything right from an array of cohesive events to number of interconnected devices.
In fact, many have predicted that 2 billion devices will get connected to IOT by 2020, whereas the next five years $6 trillion is expected to be invested in IoT. This shows that Internet of Things have influenced a diverse set of industries to speak of, including the healthcare sector, the entertainment and gaming, automotive, home automation, and logistics. This is why IoT has a great potential in the future.
The Three Pillars of IoT
There are three major pillars which are important to note, regarding to the entire structure of the Internet of Things, such as:
- Network: Generally network will perform similar function like router does in connecting the network to device. In this case, the devices are linked to the cloud. The infrastructure stationed at data centers will receive information. The things provide the data stream and also manage it. On the other hand, software helps to organize the things.
- The things in themselves: it acts as Internet Gateway which is regarded as an Internet Gateway that helps other device communication through a single or many protocols. In fact, you won’t see a screen once the device gets connected to the network.
- The cloud: it is a server that primarily aims for securing users confidential data. So, when users meet a critical juncture, the data will still get processed whereas the processing of a program usually happens during the concluding stages.
Tips for Developing Applications for IoT
Now, you have a better understanding about IoT and you may have lots of apps for the Internet of Things in mind. However, before you create one, you may want to know some factors that you can use as consideration, such as:
- Choose an Appropriate and Convenient Platform
The first step that every developer should do is to select the appropriate platform for the development process. One thing for sure, the platform should support the IoT applications and its components. Some platforms that are IoT proven and offer the scope to design the best in class apps are Ubidots, Xively or Thingworx. With the help of these platforms, you don’t have to start anything from the beginning.
- Consider the Industry for IoT Application
As stated above that Internet of Things has much widened and extended services, but there are still some fields that aren’t connected with Internet of Things. Therefore, you have to discover set of industries that can optimally connected such as healthcare, transportation, energy resources, sports, manufacturing etc. For instance, with IoT application, people can easily find transportation such as connecting buses or trains.
- Segregate Services from API Interface
Bear in mind that you need to separate the services from API interface while you are developing the apps for IoT. This will ensure you to have an app that runs smoothly on mobile and web desktop. You will surely get better opportunity once you manage your IoT applications well.
- IoT Data must be Secured Strongly
Every application developer knows about how important a strong secured environment is, especially to IoT data from the physical attacks. In fact, the security becomes more important when it comes to building GPS networks or banking apps.
- The Different Levels of IoT Apps
In order to understand the system and function of IoT applications, you have to know the various levels of IoT applications. Basically, there are four different layers; the devices, the ingestion tier, the analytics area and the end-user.
First of all, you have to consider the devices that you will be connecting. Then, you will see the infrastructure or the software receives data or organizes it. The next layer is all about data which actually is mainly processed with the help of analytics area. The last layer is about the end users for whom the app is getting developed.
- Keep an Eye on IoT Device Firmware Security
The difference between the Internet of Things from the traditional web and mobile apps is its hardware which is always apprehended to have security based issues in the firmware this is why it is essential to stay authenticated and signed before the update.
- Do not Neglect with Speed and Quality
You cannot comprise with the speed and quality at any cost when creating application for the IoT. Therefore, you have to focus on transforming the ideas into practice and provide stable working prototype.
- Ensure Scalability to the Application
It is important to build scalable applications since IoT is still a new concept. However, many believe that IoT is going to get bigger than ever with the time to arrive. In fact, having a good scalability will allow your app to remain in light for a long period of time.
Internet of Things is still considered as new comer in the technological area, but we will immediately see it is expanding and reached to a different height. This will surely help people access information easily and get connected one to each other at a low price. On the other hand, it is also a challenge for the developers as it is different from other conventional methods.